i didn’t want the people over the road to see me get changed, or judge me for sleeping in, but i love having a light filled room. i could get some net curtains, and while some of them are beautiful (i have a dotty net curtain from Ikea that i am in love with) they can often block quite a lot of light, and need a regular wash to keep them looking and feeling clean. they also become totally useless as soon as your room becomes a fraction lighter than outside (which is sometimes a good thing as you can nose into peoples houses and see how they have decorated, which is a bad habit of mine). so when i moved into our flat i tried to figure out a way to get around this. i love the frosted window look as it feels so fresh, modern and clean, but being a renter, and broke, it is/was not an option. my solution was to use drawing pins to attach a thick white bin liner to the window frame. it was all good, until the summer, when the cats were chasing a rouge fly and accidentally tore holes in it! (i wasn’t mad as pest control is how they pay their way… that and comic value).
so when moving into a proper house i came upon the same problem. this time i wanted to do it properly, i was aware you could get a type of thermal plastic that peels onto the window, how perfect would it be if i could find something that not only kept in heat and gave me privacy but also peels away mark free?? but thats just it, perfect isn’t my forte at the moment, i have no internet to allow for adequate research (not that organised), and i no longer thrive on working myself to the bone (pregnant and tired) so this is my makeshift version…
i used some cheap gold drawing pins from The Range and a cheap plain shower curtain from Dunelm Mill. tool wise all I needed was a little hammer, my scalpel (although don’t worry if you don’t have one) and some good scissors!
first of all, i measured and allowed for a fold on each side etc, but this was far too much stress, unless you have the nerves of a saint (which i no longer do) don’t bother. just cut a slightly bigger rectangle than you think you will need, start with the straight edge of the original curtain then pull tight and attach in each corner, then in the middle. i then used my scalpel and some good scissors to neatly trim away the excess. it is easy, cheap, practical, and in my opinion, looks alright!